iWatch 6.5 - SQL Query-Level Performance Monitor
Non-intrusive Monitoring for All Major Databases
iWatch™ from Exact Solutions is a best-of-breed standard for SQL Query-Level Performance Monitoring. Available in versions for Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2 for LUW, Informix, and PostgreSQL, iWatch captures and measures each and every SQL transaction and maintains the resulting records in a convenient, easily searchable database. Key strengths of iWatch are its non-intrusive operation, intuitive interface, extensive metrics, and an industry-unique repository that allows it to cope with large volumes of performance data. By implementing iWatch, organizations can streamline trouble shooting, improve application stability & performance, track SQL response times; consequently gauge User Response times and focus scarce resources more cost-effectively.
iWatch is designed to operate non-intrusively, so it will not affect the performance of your critical applications. Based on a passive network capture model, iWatch does not require configuration changes or connections to your database, nor does it rely on server-side traces or any other form of intrusive process. In the most common type of deployment, where iWatch is installed directly on the database host, overhead is typically less than 1% to 2%. If even lower overhead is required, iWatch can also be deployed on a separate host or dedicated appliance; with this type of deployment, overhead is effectively reduced to zero. This presents a stark contrast with traditional database-level tools, which typically require 10-15% CPU overhead, and can consume significantly more as users seek additional detail.
Measures from the End-User Perspective
Traditional OS-level or Database-level performance tools deliver IT-centric metrics such as Disk I/O or CPU utilization, that may have little obvious correlation to end user experiences. In contrast, iWatch measures every SQL transaction, directly from the perspective of the application or end user, removing guesswork and allowing efforts to be focused precisely in those areas that yield the most dramatic performance improvements. This is a significant advantage in complex, distributed environments, where critical time can be wasted simply determining which area of expertise within the IT organization can best be brought to bear to resolve a particular issue.
High-Performance, Integral Database
Maintaining performance records for every SQL transaction, at transactions rates that range into the thousands per second, presents a high-order challenge for conventional Relational databases. iWatch solves this challenge through an integral, self-maintaining, Time-Series database, designed from the ground up to handle large volumes of performance data. This industry-unique capability is the key to iWatch's efficient & intuitive operation, powerful trend & summary views, and unparalleled scalability. With iWatch™, you’ll be able to:
- Capture & measure each and every SQL request, along with its parameters, in real time (even those that are still running)
- Pinpoint the sources of disruptive ad hoc queries.
- Isolate the slowest running or poorly designed SQL requests.
- Identify high-frequency queries or Stored Procedures as candidates for tuning, via iWatch™ Summaries.
- Set baselines for performance analyses.
- Expose weak query design in third-party applications.
- Perform post-event analyses using iWatch™ histories.
- Trace complete session histories.
- Set alert actions, including actions to collect further information from your SNMP framework or resource-level monitoring tools.
- Route the collected query detail to industry-leading Audit & Compliance solutions.
- Establish long-term trending and analysis and exception-based reporting, across enterprise-wide deployments, using enterprise options such as the iWatch™ Data Mining Utility.